For this class, students reworked their hypothesis and problem/question as we evaluated the compost after one week. This lesson concentrated on the elements of a good experiment and what makes a meaningful question for a science project. We tried to have students isolate one variable with their question in order to create a successful project.
We also checked in on our compost ziplocks. We had students start to identify what was going on in their bags and see what changes had occurred over the week. Most of the compost bags developed a strong stink!
Students who finished their problem and hypothesis came up to the compost bins I set up and tried to find and identify all of the compost critters on our worksheet. They loved finding tiny snails and baby centipedes hiding in the dirt!